Valentine’s Day is undeniably one of my favourite celebrations. To me there aren’t too many things in life that can top Love so dedicating an entire day to sharing it with your Number 1… well that’s just sensational! And even if you don’t have a valentine, there’s nothing to stop you from spreading love to everyone around you. Either way, you can’t really lose! At least that’s how we see it here at the Apple Diaries. We wanted to get in on all the V-Day action, so to share some of the magic, here are two heart throbbing recipes made with love.
Makes about 20 shortbread
2 cups organic unbleached plain Flour
1 cup organic caster Sugar
185g Vegan Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add vanilla, flour and knead the mixture together using your hands to form a dough.
- Once ingredients are fully combined roll the dough in small balls and place on a baking tray approximately 5cm apart. Press the balls slightly with your fingertips to flatten them a little.
- Bake for around 15-20 minutes then remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Be careful not to overcook. The shortbread should be firm but still pale in colour.
* To serve, dust with icing sugar
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
200g Organic Dark Chocolate
1 tbsp Banaban Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
1 punnet of Strawberries
- Break dark chocolate in small pieces.
- Heat coconut oil and chocolate in a saucepan on low heat until melted and perfectly smooth.
- Wash strawberries
* To serve, pour chocolate into a small dish and place in the centre of a large round serving plate (I’ve used a cheese platter here ). Serve with strawberries around the outside. You can also add banana bread squares or marshmallows.
If you’re Coeliac or sensitive to Gluten then you might want to use Gluten Free Chocolate in this recipe.
Happy Valentine’s Day…